Am I a Candidate for Dental Implants in North Raleigh?
July 30, 2019
If you’re missing one or more teeth, you now have more options than ever to rebuild your smile. As an alternative to traditional treatments, dental implants in North Raleigh allow you to enjoy the next best thing to your natural teeth. Not only do they look and feel natural, but they also have over a 95% success rate. Implant-supported restorations provide a long-term solution that can last for several decades with the right aftercare, like maintaining your oral hygiene. Although they are very beneficial, they aren’t right for everyone. You need a thorough consultation to ensure you’re a candidate for dental implants.
Why are Dental Implants Successful?
Dental implants are the most successful tooth replacement option because they replicate the entire tooth structure, including the root. The long-term viability of dental implants relies on your jawbone’s ability to fuse to the posts through a process called osseointegration. This allows your jaw to support your restorations for several decades, but there are certain issues that can lead to implant failure. Your dentist in North Raleigh performs a comprehensive consultation to ensure you have minimal risk factors for implant failure.
Am I a Candidate for Dental Implants?
Generally, you’re a candidate for dental implants if you have good oral and overall health, but there are certain red flags your dentist looks for during your consultation, such as:
- Gum Disease: Infection is the biggest threat to the success of dental implants. You cannot undergo the procedure if the infection is active.
- Low Bone Density: Your jawbone must be able to support the posts. If you’ve lost bone density, you can become a candidate for the procedure with bone grafting.
- Health Conditions: If you have certain health conditions that influence your body’s ability to heal and fight infections, you may need an alternative treatment.
- Certain Medications: Medications that suppress your immune system can make you an unsuitable candidate for dental implants.
- Lifestyle Factors: Certain lifestyle habits, like smoking or drinking alcohol in excess, raise your risk of implant failure.
- Poor Oral Hygiene: If you don’t practice good oral hygiene habits at home and visit your dentist regularly, you have an increased risk for peri-implantitis. This is an infection like gum disease. It can lead to the complete failure of your implant posts.
- Pregnancy: Pregnant women can’t get dental implants until after they have delivered their baby.
Rebuild Your Smile Today!
The only certain way to determine if dental implants are right for you is to schedule a consultation with your dentist. Besides a visual examination, a CT scan and X-rays are used to ensure you have the right foundation for a successful smile.
About Dr. Philip A. Lisk
Dr. Philip A. Lisk earned his Doctor of Dental Surgery and completed additional training in many areas of specialty, like dental implants. If you’re ready to replace your missing teeth, he has the solutions you need. Contact our office today to schedule your consultation.
No comments yet.
RSS feed for comments on this post.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.